Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 2, 2011

Leave No Oven Neglected

Hello,

My name is Willow and I am a 20 year old Army-wife. I have been cooking for my husband and myself since December 2010 (about 6 short months). This blog is really about common sense cooking, and to encourage even the most hesitant cooks to not give up! It does get easier. Whether you are a college student like myself, or you have a big family, this blog is here to help with idiot proof recipes and advice. We all have to eat, thats not going to change! We don't all have the time, skill, money, or resources to become gourmet chefs. But that doesn't mean we need to give up and eat fast food, or boxed dinners the rest of our lives. Maybe you hate cooking, and are looking for recipes so quick and easy that you forget about the process and enjoy the eating. Or maybe you love to cook and want to share advice with the beginners. I do love to cook, I just wish I could skip past the burned dinners and questionable concoctions to where I am now. It takes time and a little patience.

Cooking is not one of life's mysteries. I bet you can amaze yourself and your friends or family with a few simple dishes. If you are at home, staring into the charred remains of a chicken...this blog is for you. If you have a recipe that can help men and women, young and old, learn that turning on the stove is half the battle...then please post your comments and share your wisdom. Its OK to make mistakes in the kitchen, swap salt for sugar just once and I'm sure it will be the only time. This is trial and error cooking. No one will know if you set off a smoke alarm, or throw away the first batch.

This is my new blog, I hope you enjoy.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Willow,

    I'm glad you started blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking, I believe, comes easier to some and i'm not the some... I wish i had the ability to just take left overs and make something out of it. Maybe i can get some help out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the very first thing I ever cooked. I helped my mom stir chocolate pudding on the stove top. This was real pudding not out of a box. And then I am reminded of the time my teenage daughter said "Hey mom do you know you can make pudding from a box"....No, not because I was making homemade but because I was buying pre made in a cup. I have come full circle in my cooking. I love to cook from scratch but can doctor up a package meal and have something tasty on the table. I enjoy sharing frugal cooking tips, diabetic recipes, good for you and just plain old good. I don't uses recipes I like to create. I look forward to sharing and learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im more of a baker....which you can tell by lookin at me ;). I think my problem with cooking is that i really dont follow the reciepe step by step...I know, I know, thats my problem.... Even if I do follow it it still doesnt taste great. Of Coarse bill can pull leftovers from the refrig or freezer and its a gormet meal...ugh!! Now my sister Sandy is a fantastic cook!! Christmas supper is always out of this world and you just look forward to what she is making that years..... Willow makes one hell of a chicken soup. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooking whats that!? No, really. I hardly ever cook. Amen for a husband who likes to grill. I can only make 3 things really well but they are far from fat free. This could be why Jon has put on a few pounds. I look forward to any fool proof recipes. Aunt D, I love how you made those perogies one time. Yummm...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To make perogies....buy Mrs. t's perogies, I like the potatoe and cheese ones, boil water and once its boiling put perogies in for 8 minutes. when done drain water and and margarine and chopped up onions. There ya have Aunt D's perogies. Hey i think that rhymes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats suppose to be, when done, drain water and add magarine and chopped onions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok now....where the hell is willow???

    ReplyDelete
  9. My most frugal and so yummy meal -
    Freezer Soup
    All leftovers no matter how small go into a container kept in the freezer. I like one for beef and a separate one for chicken.
    A tablespoon of leftover corn goes in the container just a few green beans in it goes.
    Leftover chicken hot wings take the meat off and put in chicken container. leftover chicken gravy put some in the container, leftover rice in it goes. before that tomatoe goes bad dice it and put in the container. When the container is full add some homemade chicken broth (boil the carcass from the rotiserrie chicken, you had last week with an onion and celery stalk. drain and save broth) and serve with homemade crusty bread or a salad. MMMM....than start all over. Each month you should have 1 or 2 free healthy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill does the same thing. He keeps the left over veg, meat, broth and even gravys and puts them all together in a container in the freezer. In the winter he takes it all out and makes beef veg soup....delish!! You do need some good bread to dip in the soup...yummy.

    ReplyDelete